There are five phases in the ION app publication process:
- Phase 1 – Prerequisites: initiating publication with the app store, understanding roles and responsibilities.
- Phase 2 – Preparation: organising the content and customising the app with operators' branding.
- Phase 3 – Verification: E2E app testing and verification with the app store guidelines.
- Phase 4 – Signing: preparing the app for publication using the operators' legal entity.
- Phase 5 – Submission: publishing the app.
Parties involved in publishing the ION app:
- Operators – Own the content rights, owns the app store account and is legally responsible for the ION app in the app store.
- NAGRA – The ION app developer, provides signed app software.
- App Store – Amazon, Apple and Google own each of their respective app stores and have their own submission processes.
Phase 1 - Enrolling in the App Store Developer Account
- Operators must initiate the submission process to the app store as the legal relationship is between the app store and the operator.
- Operators must enrol with each of the app stores (Apple, Amazon and Google) and create a developer account with each store.
- Operators will be legally and financially responsible for the published app.
Phase 2 - Preparing the App for Submission
Operators to supply:
- Video content for the app
- App icons for the launcher
- Branding and configuration (see the branding and configuration guide)
- Additional content for the app store catalog:
- Legal entity
- App name
- Content to merchandise the app for app store catalog:
- Hero artwork
- App screenshots
- App description
Phase 3 - App Testing and Verification
- The application will be tested with the operators' content and metadata.
- NAGRA has an app submission template that follows each of the store guidelines.
Changes that are outside the template risk submission rejection; guidelines can be found here:
Phase 4 - Signing the App
- Operators will sign the ION app using their app store certificate, provided by the app store.
Phase 5 - Submitting the App
- Operators submit the ION app and complete the store application process to the app store. The app store submission process can be found here:
Roles and Responsibilities
- NAGRA acts as the app developer and provides signed software.
- OPERATORS own the developer account, and are responsible for app submission to the App stores, and ongoing relationships with the stores and deployed apps.
- APP STORES, each organization has its own unique submission processes for their app stores
Are responsible for:
- App store account ownership
- Content/Content rights
- Legal and financial (in app purchases) contact to the app store
- Providing app store metadata: app name, legal entity name
- App store publication
- Testing the app (together with NAGRA)
- Making sure the app follows the app store guidelines and regulations
- Content aggregation
- App customisation per operators requirements
- Helping operators submit app metadata: hero artwork, app screenshots, descriptions etc.
App Stores (Amazon, Apple, Google)
Are responsible for:
- App store submission guidelines
- Test suite for app submission process
- Final deciding body on whether the app can be published in the app store
Is responsible for:
- Developing, maintaining and delivering signed software (ION app) branded and configured for operators.
- Basic app template and reference QA testing with app stores to ensure basic template meets store guidelines.)